GRANTS PASS, Ore. — As if there simply wasn't enough satisfaction in enjoying a good grilled cheese sandwich, the Josephine County Food Bank has joined with community partners to "Say Cheese" in the month of March — combining good food, charitable giving, and some good old-fashioned friendly competition.
This year, 19 restaurants in the Grants Pass area are participating, competing for the "coveted honor" of best grilled cheese sandwich in the area.
"Here’s how it works: Each restaurant is offering its own version of this classic American sandwich," the Food Bank said in a statement. "The restaurant that sells the most grilled cheese sandwiches will have bragging rights as the best in town."
Most importantly, for each sandwich sold, the participating restaurants will donate $2 to the Josephine County Food Bank. Everyone else simply casts their diners “vote” by ordering up their favorite sandwich at the restaurants themselves.
Diners will also have two chances to win $100 gift certificates out of the bargain:
- Pick up a “punch card” at any participating restaurant. Each time you buy a grilled cheese sandwich, get your card initialed. Once you purchase five sandwiches, turn your card in at a participating restaurant to be entered in a drawing for a $100 gift certificate from Fred Meyer.
- Take a selfie with your grilled cheese sandwich and post it to Facebook with the hashtag #saycheeseGP2019 and you will automatically be entered to win a $100 gift certificate from Dutch Bros.
The participating restaurants and their contenders for best American-classic grilled cheese are as follows:
- Applebee’s: The Big Cheesy. Two slices of potato bread grilled in Cajun butter, shaved Parmesan, cheddar with blackened seasoning outside, then a blend of pepperjack, cheddar and Swiss inside. If you want to get adventurous, you can add on your choice of roasted Cajun veggies, blackened shrimp, mushrooms, bacon, fried egg, tomato or jalapeno.
- Blondies’ Bistro: Four-cheese grilled cheese served on house sourdough Parmesan-crusted bread with smoked Gouda, sharp cheddar, Havarti, chipotle mayo, tomato & red onion.
- Bohemian Bar & Bistro: Pesto cream cheese with pepperjack, Havarti, shaved ham, bacon, tomato and pepperoncini on sourdough or nine-grain bread.
- The Train Depot: Smoked Gouda cheese with sautéed pears and crispy prosciutto on a hoagie roll.
- Casa Amiga: Grilled flour tortilla filled with choice of cheese & meat (chorizo, chicken, carne asada, ground beef or shredded beef) with sliced avocado, sour cream, & jalapenos on the side.
- Climate City Brewing: Bacon jalapeno “Mac” grilled cheese.
- Cultured Palate: Angela has created a Cuban guava grilled cheesecake! Inspired by the popular Cuban cracker cream cheese and guava dessert.
- Eddie’s Old Fashioned Hamburgers: The haunted grilled cheese sandwich featuring Tillamook cheddar, pepperjack, Swiss and jalapeno bacon, with Ghost Sauce and served with your choice of sides.
- Laughing Clam: Gouda Belly – Smoked Gouda, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses with grilled pork belly served on herb encrusted rye bread. Choice of french fries or ginger coleslaw.
- Lulu’s for the love of Food: Three-cheese habanero prosciutto grilled cheese with pepperjack, habanero cheese, Havarti, pear and mustard on grilled focaccia bread.
- MaMosa’s: A new special every week during March! We will start with a roasted veggie and pesto grilled cheese on sourdough. Stay tuned for the next three weekly specials.
- Millie’s Sandwich Shop: Pastrami with cheese and mustard, sautéed onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and pickles, served on a baked-fresh-daily bun with super special sauce.
- One Fifteen Broiler: Swiss, Havarti and smoked Gouda with thinly sliced prime rib and caramelized onion, with a rosemary spread on sourdough.
- Red Robin: Four cheese melt.
- River’s Edge: Garlic marinated flank steak with Brie, arugula and roasted garlic on sourdough bread, topped with sriracha aioli.
- Shari’s Café & Pies: Hand-crafted sandwich with crispy edge grilled cheese featuring Parmesan, pepperjack, Swiss & cheddar cheese.
- Taprock: Creamy mac & cheese sandwiched between thick-sliced egg bread grilled with Tillamook cheddar, then topped with Taprock's famous cheese triangles. Served with choice of Taprock signature side.
- Twisted Cork: Wild mushroom black truffle grilled cheese sandwich. A blend of truffle white cheddar & Fontina cheese with fresh herbs grilled in black truffle oil.
- Wild River Pub: Wood-fired garlic bacon caprese grilled cheese.
- Grants Pass Serves Up Grilled Cheese for a Good Cause
- Caveman Repairs in Grants Pass
- Grants Pass Family Welcomes Triplets
- Josephine County Food Bank Says "Cheese"
- 5 Arrested In Grants Pass Drug Bust
- Information Needed: Grants Pass Woman Missing
- Grants Pass Woman Killed in Crash
- Hundreds Attend Grants Pass Women's March
- Accused Sex Offender Arrested In Grants Pass
- Several Grants Pass Businesses Catch Fire Overnight