MEDFORD, Ore. — After extinguishing a fire next to a Medford home on Thursday, fire crews determined that the flames resulted from a 'marijuana cigarette' put out near combustible materials. according to Medford Fire-Rescue (MFR).
MFR responded to a structure fire call on Washington Street Thursday evening. When fire crews arrived, they found that the flames were contained to debris underneath a covered patio next to the house, but had not yet spread to the house itself.
Extinguishing the fire, MFR investigators were then able to determine what had caused it.
Deputy Fire Marshal Fairrington interviewed the owners and found that one of them had stomped out a joint near some dry leaves and pine needles. MFR believes that ash and embers from the discarded joint started a slow, smoldering fire in the dry vegetation, before the fire spread to 'combustible materials' nearby.
The owners noticed fire about 30 to 45 minutes later.
No one was injured in the fire, but MFR warns that if it had gone undetected for much longer, the potential damage or harm could have been much worse.
MFR crew 8102 installed a new smoke alarm in the home and discussed better methods for disposing of discarded smoking materials—such as putting them into a metal container filled with water, and keeping dry vegetation away from structures.
- Joint Sparks Fire at Medford Home
- Overnight Fire Destroys Medford Home
- Morning Crash into Medford Power Pole Sparks Fire
- Burger Joints from Memory Lane
- Medford home burned down from fire
- Homeless camp fire sparked Los Angeles blaze
- RAW VIDEO: Structure Fire in Medford Engulfs Home
- Electrical Fire at Medford Home Claims Family Pets
- UPDATE: Medford Police calling mobile home fire suspicious
- Medford Fire-Rescue Investigating Garage Fire