GRANTS PASS, Ore.- If you're ever in a car accident where you become stuck, firefighters and EMS crews have to pull you out to safety. In today's simulation they used the jaws of life to remove this roof.
Firefighters responded to Shelby Huntley's car wreck three weeks ago.
Huntley says, "I remember them pulling me out."
Ben Nehf, Rural Metro Firefighter says, "The car was upside down on a pretty steep angle and we had to make sure that it wasn't going to fall any further. She wasn't really in pinned by anything in the vehicle except for the fact that she couldn't get out so we had to break some windows and basically open the door and make some access we got her spine board in there and put around on that and then we put her on a Stokes basket which allows us to hook a rope system on it and pull her off."
Fire crews used the jaws of life to get the 18-year-old out. Today, they're seeing her for the first time since crews rescued her that night.
Huntley says, "I honestly thought I was going to die in my vehicle I didn't think I was going to make it out and I can't even explain or say enough how thankful I am that they were there and that I had such an amazing team to pull me out."
Today EMS and fire crews practiced an extrication similar to what they did with Huntley.
A bulldozer carried a clunker and dropped it on it's side to smash it like its been in a rollover crash. Today's training mission?
To get the test dummy out of the car safely. Paramedics covered the dummy's face while firemen smashed the windshield and pulled off the roof. Then crews took out the dummy, placed it on a backboard, and moved it into the ambulance.
Rural Metro Fire says it's important for fire crews to know how to work with paramedics on calls like this, so when the real thing happens, everyone is ready.
- Jaws of Life Help Save Teen In Rollover
- Fire Crews Use Jaws of Life in Head On Crash
- 'Jaws of Life' Used To Extricate Two People From Car Crash in Merlin
- High Temperature Fevers Affect Fetus' Heart and Jaw, Study Says
- Medford Firefighters Recognize Life-Saving Citizens
- Driver Is Minimally Injured After Rollover Crash
- Several agencies respond to rollover in Wonder
- Jackson County Sees Two Halloween Rollover Crashes
- Cutting Fruit & Saving Money
- 3D Mammograms Saving Lives