Photo Gallery 4 Images
MEDFORD, Ore. — A lengthy investigation into black market marijuana trafficking between Oregon and the Midwest led officers to an illegal marijuana grow operation in Medford — filled with pot plants, cash, guns, and other drugs, according to the Oregon State Police (OSP).
On April 11, officers with the Oregon State Police - Southwest Region Marijuana team raided a property in the 3900-block of Independence School Road, finding a large-scale indoor marijuana grow, "which was not licensed or legal."
Two people were arrested at the property — including 24-year-old Gregory Martin Day of North Carolina, believed to be managing the operation.
Investigators seized and destroyed almost 14,500 marijuana plants with an estimated street value of $15 million after processing. They also found more than $550,000 in cash, 29 guns — including two fully-automatic rifles — 6,000 Butane Honey Oil (BHO) cartridges, more than 140,000 grams of other BHO products, 1,047 grams of psolocybin mushrooms, and "also some LSD."
Day was lodged in the Jackson County Jail on "numerous drug and weapons related charges." The other person detained at the property was identified and released.
OSP was assisted by a network of state, federal, and local agencies, including the OSP Major Crimes Section, the Rogue Area Drug Enforcement (RADE) team, OLCC, the Department of Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), Fire District 5 and law enforcement members from Illinois and Kansas.
- Investigators find $15 million in pot plants, arsenal of guns at illegal grow site
- Authorities Find 727 Illegal Pot Plants at Siskiyou County Grow Operation
- Deputies Seize Nearly 500 Plants at Klamath County Illegal Grow Site
- Raids seize more than 4.6K marijuana plants at Siskiyou County illegal grow sites
- Study: Deadly Pesticide Use Increases At Illegal Pot Farms
- Surge in Illegal California Pot Shops Undercuts Legal Market
- Q&A: Klamath County Sheriff Discusses Illegal Marijuana Grows in County
- Sheriff: New Grants Allow Focus on Illegal Marijuana Grows
- US corporations embracing 420 as pot legalization grows
- Siskiyou county sheriff's office removes illegal plants in marijuana raid