UPDATE: A body found in the Rogue River on Thursday has been identified as 64-year-old Gary Schultz of Marysville, Washington. Investigators were able to identify Schultz by his fingerprints.
Schultz was reported missing and possibly suicidal to Marysville Police on Tuesday, March 13, according to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.
Schultz' vehicle was found in a parking lot at the Valley of the Rogue State Park. Deputies believe that the man's body was only in the water for a short time before it was spotted and reported by a witness.
The man's family has been notified, and an autopsy is scheduled for later today.
(Updated as of 9:10 a.m., Friday, March 16)
UPDATE: The Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) has confirmed that the body they pulled from the Rogue River was a man. A citizen sighted the body this morning, March 15, at 11:58 a.m. before calling dispatch. Investigators are still working to confirm the person's identity and cause of death.
JCSO marine patrol personnel recovered the body in a boat, assisted by JCSO search and rescue (SAR) divers. Other SAR teams and Rogue River Fire District 1 assisted from the shore.
(Updated as of 4:03 p.m., Thursday, March 15)
GOLD HILL, Ore. -- The Jackson County Sheriff's Office confirms that a body has been found in the Rogue River, between the Valley of the Rogue State Park and Coyote Evans Wayside.
Search and rescue crews were able to pull the body from the river, however authorities have yet to confirm if this was a man or woman. Investigators are still working to determine the identity and cause of death of the person they have recovered.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office will be taking over the investigation now that recovery efforts have wrapped up.
This is a developing story. Emma Balkenbush will be reporting live from the scene tonight at five and six o'clock.
(Original story posted at 1:34 p.m., Thursday, March 15)
- UPDATE: Body Found Near Valley of the Rogue Now Identified
- UPDATE: Authorities Identify Jet Skier Found Dead in Rogue River
- Rogue Valley Mental Health Support
- Rogue Valley Expressway now open
- Body Found Near Graves Creek Bridge Identified
- Medford Police identify man found dead at Rogue Valley Country Club
- Body of missing swimmer found in Rogue River
- Rogue Valley Child in Fourth Cancer Fight
- Opening of the Rogue Valley Mall
- Oregon Century: Newspapers in the Rogue Valley