Healthy Irish Soda Bread
• 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar
• 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 Tablespoons caraway seeds
• 4 Tablespoons cold butter
• 2 cups dried cherries, finely minced
• 1 large egg
• 1 1/2 scant cups unsweetened almond milk
• 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Thoroughly combine flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and caraway seeds. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until finely blended and stir in minced raisins.
3. Make the buttermilk by adding 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar into a 2 cup liquid measuring cup. Add almond milk until you reach 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
4. In a small bowl, beat the egg and the almond milk mixture. Add to flour mixture. Gently stir and fold until just combined. Form dough into a rounded, disk-shaped loaf a few inches thick and 7 to 8 inches wide.
5. Place on prepared baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, mark top of loaf decoratively with 1/2-inch deep knife slashes. Bake on the middle oven rack for 50 – 60 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
Rueben Wraps with Russian Dip
Certified Health and Wellness Coach Rachel Andras
~Cook Corn Beef in a Crock-Pot or oven. ~Measure out 8 ounces cooked meat (4 oz per serving)
~Blanch 4 large Cabbage leaves, set aside.
1/4 cup cider vinegar (1 Condiment)
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon caraway seed (1/2 Condiment)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed (1/2 Condiment)
1/4 teaspoon allspice (1/2 Condiment)
1/4 teaspoon coriander seed (1/4 Condiment)
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated ginger (1/8 Condiment)
1/4 teaspoon bay leaves, crushed (1/8 Condiment)
1/2 teaspoon dill weed (1/2 Condiment)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (1/2 Condiment)
~In a large saucepan combine ingredients plus ½ cup water from Crock-Pot CornBeef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add 2 cup thinly shredded cabbage (4 Green) into the saucepan, cooking until tender.
~Strain shredded cabbage of extra water. (*I use the Kraut liquid to make extra and store it for use later in the week or freeze it. Don't forget to label!)
To assemble Wraps:
~Place 4 blanched Cabbage leaves on 2 separate plates. Add 2 oz beef to each leaf. Top each with ½ oz reduced fat Swiss cheese (2 oz total). Next, add ½ cup "kraut" and pickle slices.
~Serve with Russian Dip (recipe below) or spread inside wrap
~Roll or Wrap and enjoy!
*PER Nutrition Support: UNLESS you drink the liquid you cooked the cabbage in, the Condiments would not add up enough to affect your meal plan.
Homemade Light Russian Dip
[4 Servings: 2 Condiment]
½ Tablespoon onion (½ Condiment)
2 oz Greek Yogurt (3 Condiment)
2 Tablespoon No Sugar Added ketchup (2 Condiment)
1 teaspoons horseradish (1 Condiment)
Dash of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (1 Condiment)
⅛ teaspoon sweet paprika (¼ Condiment)
⅛ teaspoon salt (½ Condiment)
~Use a personal blender, pulse onion then add remaining ingredients.
~Divide into 4 equal portions. (Store extra in fridge for later)