ASHLAND, Ore---Walking down the sidewalk may not be an issue when it is just raining or snowing. Once cold temperatures freeze that moisture, the sidewalks can get somewhat dangerous.
The same thing could happen on roadways or driveways.
There are some easy ways to prepare for hidden ice, just by heading to a local hardware store.
The product Ice Melter is one. It can allow the sidewalk to keep from getting icy. However, it is something that you need to lay down before the moisture gets there. So, if there is snow on the sidewalk, you need to remove it, then lay the product down.
“You want to use it sparingly, it does not take much to actually begin to melt that ice. If you don’t remove the snow, and try to put the ice melt on top of the snow, It will not melt the snow. If you remove the snow at first, you have a much better chance of having a non-slick driveway.” Said Tim Ringer, the floor manager of the Ashland Ace Hardware.
There are also easy ways to keep pipes from freezing.
Insulation tubes fit right over the top of pipes to keep them warm.
Also, you can buy heaters that will stick to the pipes. The heaters physically warm the pipes when they get cold, which can help you avoid a costly problem later.
You can also buy faucet caps to go over those wall faucets that you connect a garden hose to. You just place it over the faucet, secure it, and it warms the faucet.
It all only takes a couple of minutes to take care of, and helps you avoid more serious plumbing or safety situations later on.
- Icy Sidewalks and Frozen Pipes Can Easily Be Avoided
- Pipe Bomb Scare
- Health Alert: Frozen Embryos
- Merlin Sidewalk Project Halfway Finished
- Tips For Winterizing Your Pipes
- Sidewalk Showdown: Merlin Residents Disagree About Additions
- Josephine County Commissioners Approve Merlin Sidewalk Project
- Icy Roads Expected In The Rogue Valley
- Preparing for Snowy or Icy Roads
- The 'Frozen 2' trailer is finally here