LOS ANGELES (AP) - A California woman says she had to drive herself to the hospital and give birth without her husband after he was detained by immigration agents.
Maria del Carmen Venegas says she and her husband, Joel Arrona Lara, were driving to the hospital Wednesday when they stopped for gas in San Bernardino, just east of Los Angeles.
She tells KMEX-TV that agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement questioned the couple at the gas station and asked for identification.
She was able to provide hers but says Arrona had left his at home in their rush to the hospital.
Venegas says Arrona has been living in the U.S. for 12 years without legal authorization.
Venegas gave birth and remains at the hospital.
She says she's working to hire an attorney.
- Husband Detained While Rushing Wife To The Hospital
- Gold Rush Whiskey Fizz
- OSF Offers $10 Community Rush Discount
- Post Office Workers Anticipate Tax Day Rush
- 'How to Murder Your Husband' Author Formally Charged with Husband's Murder
- OSF Rush Ticket Sales Benefit Ashland Emergency Food Bank
- Celebs, Athletes Rush To Support Bullied Tenn. Boy
- Gold Rush! at the Sportsmen's and Outdoor Recreation Show
- Thanksgiving Air-Travel Rush Gets Off to a Good Start
- Local Gyms Prepare for New Year Resolution Rush