JOSEPHINE COUNTY, Ore. — Authorities are investigating a confrontation that occurred over the weekend in which a group of hunters claim they were fired upon by armed individuals, injuring one.
Deputies from the Josephine County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) first responded to reports of a man who had been shot in the leg around Sunny Valley on Saturday. When they arrived in the area, they found a man with a small wound on his leg from "an apparent gun shot."
According to Oregon State Police (OSP), the victim told investigators that he had been riding in the back of a pickup with several other individuals who had been hunting in the mountains.
"While driving down the mountain, they drove into an area where they were confronted by several individuals who were armed. At least one round was fired towards the hunter’s vehicle, causing the injury," OSP said.
JCSO called in for assistance from the OSP Major Crimes Section and SWAT Team.
On Monday, deputies and SWAT officers served a search warrant at 9998 Jump Off Joe Creek Road. OSP said that several people were "contacted" at the property and interviewed about the incident on Saturday. Two men at the residence were found to have felony arrest warrants from Missouri.
27-year-old Akeem Lorenz White and 26-year-old Robert Paul Frenchie, both of Missouri, were lodged in the county jail for Failure to Appear on an original charge of Dangerous Drugs. So far, neither have been charged with crimes related to the incident on Saturday.
OSP said that their detectives and JCSO deputies are continuing to investigate the shooting.
"No other arrests have been made at this time and no further information is available at this time," OSP said.
- Police: Hunters Confronted, Shots Fired in Josephine County Incident
- Josephine County Man Shot
- Josephine County Fair
- Controversy in Josephine County
- Cats Perish in Josephine County Structure Fire
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office: Missing Josephine County Man Found Safe
- Josephine County Vaccination Rates Drop
- Filling Bowls in Josephine County
- Police Looking For Help In Locating Josephine County Felon
- Suspects Arrested in Josephine County After Ramming Police Cruiser