GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Wilber and Shirley Cartwright were going to spend this Labor Day weekend around the barbecue. The Hugo Road Fire had other plans.
“We went out and took a look and saw the smoke from the canyon from us. And we were watching it burn. We could see the trees catching on fire and things," said Wilber Cartwright.
The fire got closer and closer to the Cartwright’s home on Monteiro Road. 10 minutes later, law enforcement knocked on their door and urged them to evacuate.
"I'm not leaving," Shirley said.
“Once she saw how close the fire was, she's glad she did," Wilber added.
Shortly after, the couple changed their minds and their happy they did. The fire was beginning to block their only way out.
"It was kind of scary because it was very close. We had to leave out horses because we don’t have a horse trailer but thankfully there's people that came in and rescued our horses and brought them here to the fairgrounds,” Shirley shared.
The Cartwright’s dogs and horses are now housed at the fairgrounds with them. The couple said their home is safe for now. They'll need to stay another night at the shelter.
Click here for the Hugo Road Fire evacuation notices.