BROOKINGS, OR -- A neighborhood in Brookings is seeing intense flooding from the Chetco River.
Vince George lives in that neighborhood. He says, "it’s currently flooding a bit here." He pointed out some trees that are 20 feet under water right now. The George's have water everywhere. The river is hitting the back of their house and surrounding their decks. It even filled up a large flower pot.
George says, "it’s crazy. I mean this water is never here."
Overnight high tide hit around 1 am. George says, "the rain keeps you up at night, because when you hear the rain coming out of the sky like crazy and you know the river is this big you know you might have to move."
A couple doors down is Bill Currie’s home. He also has the river to the back of his house. Bill Currie says, “I’ve never seen the water this high in all my days here.“
Currie’s garage is flooded. His craft house filled with inches of silt. He says, "I just kept watching it come up, come up, come up."
With rain still falling tonight. Both Vince and Bill say it will be another night of watching the river.
- Homes flooded by Chetco River in Brookings
- Brookings Couple Starts to Rebuild after Chetco Bar Fire
- Lawmakers Lobby Secretary Zinke for Protection of Chetco River
- Chetco Bar Burn Areas Under Flash Flood Watch Thursday
- Brookings Grant Looks into Impact on Water from Chetco Bar Fire
- DeFazio Investigates Chetco Bar Fire Management
- Meeting to Find Solutions for Fishing Competition on the Chetco River
- Chetco Bar to Receive Funding for Recovery Projects
- Skagit River Floods Skagit County Washington
- Brookings Shooting Suspect in Custody