LOS ANGELES (AP) - Authorities say a wildfire that destroyed six homes and damaged a dozen more last week in the exclusive Bel Air section of Los Angeles was sparked by an illegal cooking fire in a homeless encampment.
City fire spokesman Erik Scott said Tuesday that investigators found the campsite in some brush near Sepulveda Boulevard where it passes under Interstate 405.
No one was in the camp, and no arrests have been made.
Scott says fire officials didn't know about the camp but beginning next fire season they plan to start looking for such encampments and will notify police.
The fire near the world-famous Getty museum was one of several burning simultaneously in the LA area last week that forced thousands to evacuate.
The causes of the other fires remain under investigation.
- Homeless camp fire sparked Los Angeles blaze
- Los Angeles Teachers Strike Ends
- Underground Transportation Tunnel Proposed For Los Angeles
- Prospect 'Search Angel' Finds Missing People After Camp Fire
- Trump administration sends team to Los Angeles for 'fact finding' on homelessness
- Deaths among homeless people in Los Angeles have doubled since 2013, report says
- New Details Released Following Plane Crash Into Los Angeles Home
- Joint Sparks Fire at Medford Home
- Wind Spreads California Fire as Other States Battle Blazes
- The massive Saddle Ridge fire started under a high-voltage transmission tower, Los Angeles fire officials say