WILDERVILLE, Ore --- Rural Metro Fire Department says a historical home is safe. The department says a series of fortunate factors kept both the people inside and the home safe.
The house is in Wilderville on Redlands Drive. The people inside the house say it was their cat that woke them up and alerted them about the fire. They tried to call 911, but their phone wasn't working. Somebody driving by noticed the fire and called 911. That same person used a garden hose to put out the flames until crews arrived.
Rural Metro Fire and Grants Pass Fire Department put out the rest of the fire when they got to the house. The fire departments say the fire damage is mostly on the outside. No one was injured.
Rural Metro Fire says the home was once a passenger train station from the late 1800's. Plus the home also has gymnasium flooring from Grants Pass High School.