EAGLE POINT, Ore. —
UPDATE: Oregon State Police has confirmed that one person died in Tuesday's crash along Highway 62. Multiple others were injured.
According to the agency, troopers and emergency crews responded to the two-vehicle crash just after 2:30 p.m. An investigation of the crash found that 35-year-old Jason Renfro of Medford had been driving westbound in a PT Cruiser when he crossed the center line and hit a VW Beetle heading eastbound, driven by 70-year-old Rickie Beer of Eagle Point.
Beer died at the scene of the crash, OSP said. His passenger, 67-year-old Susan Beer, was taken to the hospital with unknown injuries.
Renfro and his passenger, 59-year-old Lawrence Hunsley of Prospect, were also taken to the hospital with unknown injuries.
The investigation has yet to determine why Renfro veered into oncoming traffic.
(Updated 12/11/19 at 10:45 a.m.)
UPDATE: All lanes are back open on Highway 62 at Crystal Drive in Eagle Point, ODOT says.
NewsWatch 12 is working to find out the condition of those involved and additional details about the crash.
(Updated 12/10/19 at 5:30 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: Traffic crews and troopers with Oregon State Police are responding to a serious two-vehicle crash along Highway 62 near Eagle Point, according to the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT).
At 3 p.m., the agency said that the highway was closed, with eastbound traffic being detoured using Crystal Drive and Barton Road. Westbound traffic is being kept on the highway.
Drivers were told to expect delays while OSP investigated the crash. ODOT characterized the crash as causing "major injury."
This is a developing story, and NewsWatch 12 will update the article with more details as they emerge.
- One person killed, several injured in crash on Highway 62 at Eagle Point
- UPDATE: Crash Cleared on Highway 62 Near Eagle Point
- Update: Highway 62 Expressway Construction
- Highway 62 Expressway Over Halfway Done
- Expect Delays on Highway 62 Starting Tonight
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Two Vehicle Crash Blocking Lane on Highway 62
- One Person Killed in Curry County Crash On Highway 101
- Crash On Highway 199 Kills One, Injures Another
- One person killed, three injured in crash near Diamond Lake
- New Traffic Flow on Highway 62 in Medford