Photo Gallery 4 Images
LAKE OF THE WOODS, Ore. —
UPDATE: Two people were hospitalized and listed in critical condition following the Monday afternoon crash on Highway 140 west of Fish Lake.
According to Oregon State Police (OSP), troopers and emergency personnel from both Jackson and Klamath counties responded to reports of a two-vehicle "critical injury" crash near milepost 24.
Investigators determined that Hunter Toland of Eureka, California was driving westbound in a grey Dodge pickup when he crossed the center-line into the eastbound lane, hitting a white Dodge utility truck driven by Kevin Hanson of Brookfield, Massachusetts.
First responders loaded Toland into a Mercy Flights helicopter bound for Rogue Regional Medical Center. Hanson had to be extricated from his truck, then brought to Rogue Regional by Mercy Flights ground ambulance.
OSP said that Highway 140 remained closed for about three hours after the crash.
"A DUII investigation is ongoing and believed to be a contributing factor," the agency said.
OSP was assisted by Lake Creek Fire District, Jackson County Fire District 3, Mercy Flights, and ODOT.
(Updated 7/10/19 at 10:30 a.m.)
UPDATE: Highway 140 remains closed in both directions following a major crash on Monday, and ODOT says that drivers should anticipate an extensive closure. There is still no detour in place through the area, which is several miles west of Fish Lake.
(Updated 7/8/19 at 5:50 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: Highway 140 is closed in both directions due to a crash west of both Lake of the Woods and Fish Lake, according to information from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT). The crash is near milepost 24.
ODOT said that there are "major injuries" and "no detour at this time." Traffic crews are en route.
This is a developing story, and NewsWatch 12 will update the article with more details as they emerge.
OR 140W, Lake of the Woods Highway is blocked in both directions 22 mi west of Odessa due to a crash involving major injuries. No detour at this time.
— Oregon DOT (@OregonDOT) July 8, 2019
- Two men listed in critical condition following 'major injury' crash on Highway 140
- Troopers Patrol Highway 140 Intersection
- Highway 140 Closed Near Mile Marker 22
- 2 Killed in Highway 140 Crash near Kershaw Road
- Shady Cove Man Dies in Highway 140 Head-On Crash
- Deadly Crash Blocks Traffic on Highway 140 Near White City
- Driver Killed in Passing Crash on Highway 140
- All Lanes Open on Highway 140 Following Multi-Vehicle Crash
- Lakeview Man Dies in Single Car Crash on Highway 140
- Traffic on Highway 140 affected by crash at Kershaw Road