[UPDATE] 11:13 a.m.
The driver of the Sterling flatbed truck was 48 year old, Tim Sheldon from Newell, California and received minor injuries. The driver who passed away in the International box truck was 43 year old, Douglas Mitchell from Shady Cove, Oregon.
[UPDATE] 6:19 p.m.
At around 9:30 Wednesday morning, Troopers from the Central Point Area Command responded to a 2 vehicle crash on Highway 140 near milepost 22 that had both lanes blocked. The incident location is in Jackson County and is approximately 25 miles east of Medford.
The preliminary investigation has determined that a 2018 International box truck was eastbound on Hwy 140 when for an unknown reason the box truck crossed over the centerline into the path of a 2007 Sterling semi-flatbed truck, resulting in a head on collision. The operator of the semi received minor injuries. The operator of the box truck died as a result of the injuries sustained in the collision. The names of the parties involved are being withheld until the next of kin can be notified.
The Oregon State Police was assisted by Mercy Flights, Fire District 8 and Oregon Department of Transportation.
[UPDATE] 2:59 p.m. Oregon State Police say one driver has died following a crash on Highway 140.
NEAR MEDFORD, Ore. -- ODOT reports Highway 140 is closed in both directions at milepost 22 due to a crash. The crash is 22 miles east of intersection with Highway 62 (Crater Lake Highway). The crash involves two semi trucks. ODOT is on scene and says there is no detour.
Oregon State Police says crews are now sending traffic on shoulder with flaggers. Tow trucks are in route. One driver had to be "extricated" and flown to a hospital.
75 gallons of diesel spilled on the road; ODOT is working to clean it up. NewsWatch12 has been told that one truck was a flatbed and one was a box van.
A reporter is headed to the scene. This is a developing story.
- Shady Cove Man Dies in Highway 140 Head-On Crash
- Highway 62 Paving Monday evening for Shady Cove residents
- Shady Cove Re-Evaluating Recreational Marijuana Ban
- UPDATE: Deputies Find Lost Woman in Shady Cove
- UPDATE: Suspect in Shady Cove Shooting Turns Himself In
- Police: Accused Shady Cove Shooter Acted in Self-Defense
- Shady Cove Library to Host Mental Health Awareness Class
- Troopers Patrol Highway 140 Intersection
- UPDATE: Lanes Cleared After Crash South of Shady Cove on Hwy 62
- Highway 140 Closed Near Mile Marker 22