MEDFORD, Ore. -- High school students got to teach elementary schoolers in a program called 'Learners and Learning.' South Medford High Schoolers spent Tuesday morning with Jackson Elementary students reading books and doing art projects. Although the big kids were technically the ones teaching they also learned hands on if teaching is something they can see themselves doing in the future.
"It's just a wonderful opportunity for kids to follow their dreams or to make dreams if they don't even have them yet that's always good too," said South Medford High School Pathways to Education teacher, Sheri Smith.
South Medford High School Sophomore Talia Hutchins wants to go to college. Like most high school students her age, she isn't quite sure where she wants to go or what she wants to go for. So Talia is in her high school's 'Learners and Learning' course.
"I'm in this class because I think that if I wanted to become a teacher when I'm older that could be entirely possible that this class will be really helpful to have," Hutchins said.
Smith said that is the whole point of the course.
"It's kind of a building program but basically the idea is that they're going to get the opportunity to figure out if this is a potential pathway for them as far as a career is concerned," Smith added.
It helps students dip their toes into different careers to see if they like them. In the Intro to Teaching Class, students made lesson plans for elementary school grades and actually got to teach them to Jackson Elementary School students.
"I think we need to be test driving with real kids. It's one thing to teach lessons in front of your peers but it's a whole other thing to actually get in deep and get your finger nails dirty with the littles," Smith Added.
While Talia doesn't know if teaching is her career path, she has some little people to please.
"All the little kids are asking when are you coming back and I definitely want to come back this was really fun," Talia smiled.
- High Schoolers Dip Their Toes Into Prospective Careers
- Deputies Seek Suspected Prospect Flasher
- High schoolers charged in attack on lesbian couple
- Thick Smoke Affects Local Business in Prospect
- Deputies Track Down Suspect in Prospect Indecent Exposure Case
- Top House Dems Raise Prospect of Impeachment, Jail for Trump
- Prospect 'Search Angel' Finds Missing People After Camp Fire
- Small 'Experimental' Plane Crashes Near Prospect, Pilot Survives
- Prospect Airport Manager Describes Hectic Scene Looking for Missing Pilot
- Prospect man dies in single-vehicle crash, fire