KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. -- For the third year in a row, Klamath County's Henley High School has the highest graduation rate in the state.
Last year, only one student didn't graduate from Henley and the year before that their graduation rate was 100%. NewsWatch12 spoke with staff and students to find out how they're keeping their graduation rate so high.
Sophia Gomez, a senior at Henley, said, "I think Henley is more than just a school with used books and ripped binders and gum under the desk. It's home and I think it's more our family."
Gomez isn't the only one who feels that way.
Cate Hepper, a Henley senior, said, "It's a very positive atmosphere which I think is created by our teachers."
NewsWatch12 spoke with several seniors graduating on June 9th, trying to find out what the secret is: how has Henley High kept the highest graduation rate in the state for the last three years.
"We shoot for 100%," Henley's Principal Jack Lee said.
Both the Principal and Vice Principal revealed what they think the secret is.
Andrea Armantrout, the Vice Principal, told NewsWatch12, "I will tell you it is 100% our staff and the connections our staff makes with the kids."
"And not just a name in their classroom, they make actual connections like 'Hey how's it going at home?'" Principal Lee said.
Students agree. When asked what their favorite part about Henley High is, they all agreed on one thing:
"The student teacher connection. Some of my biggest role models have been teachers from the school," Jubal Rasmussen, a Henley senior, said.
Staff say together they all focus on pushing students to their next step after high school and getting that diploma is step one.
Macy Hullman, a Henley senior, said she's gone to Henley since kindergarten. Hullman said thanks to her teachers over the years she feels more than ready for life after high school.
"They stay after late to help us and prepare us for college," Hullman said. "I definitely feel like I'm ready."
138 students will graduate from Henley High on June 9th giving them about a 96.5% graduation rate for 2019.
- Henley High School has highest graduation rate in Oregon
- These high school sports have the highest concussion rates
- High School Graduation Rates Up in Oregon, Closer to US Rate
- Henley High School Offering Reward After Pair of Threats
- Henley High School Increases Security Following Two Threats
- Medford Schools See Increase in Graduation Rate
- Oregon Graduation Rate Climbs; Still Below National Average
- Oregon needs 'significant work' to raise graduation rates
- Oregon's High School Grad Rate Remains 3rd-Worst in Nation
- Henley Schools in Klamath County Closed Due to Outage