NEAR GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Oregon State Police is investigating a deadly pedestrian crash that happened early this morning on a road near Grants Pass.
State Police responded to the crash at around 6:30 AM, on the 2500 block of Hamilton Lane. Hamilton Lane is a county road in Josephine County about 1 mile south of Grants Pass.
Oregon State Police say a driver of a 2011 GMC pickup was heading northbound, when he saw something in the middle of the road and realized it was a person wearing dark clothing sitting in the roadway. The driver tried to avoid hitting the person, but was unable to. Authorities don't know why the woman sitting in the middle of the road.
Police say area is without street lights and without ambient lighting. The driver was traveling within the speed limit.
The woman was identified as 55 year old Barbara J. Kriewitz from Grants Pass. Kriewitz was pronounced dead on the scene by emergency personnel.
The Oregon State Police was assisted by Rural Metro Fire and Rescue, Josephine County District Attorney's office and the Josephine County Sheriff's office. OSP says the driver is cooperating with the investigation and no criminal charges are expected
- Grants Pass Woman Killed in Crash
- Grants Pass Man Killed in Douglas County Crash
- Motorcycle Rider Killed in Crash With Deer in Grants Pass
- Information Needed: Grants Pass Woman Missing
- OSP Investigating Fatal Crash in Grants Pass
- Third Car Crash at Grants Pass Residence
- Caveman Repairs in Grants Pass
- One Horse Killed in Grants Pass Barn Fire
- Police Identify Man Killed in Grants Pass Explosion, Seeking Associate
- Grants Pass High School Student Killed in Skateboard Accident