GRANTS PASS, Ore.-- Unofficially the bond has failed. Now the District says it will be opening the conversation again to figure out how to help students who now learn in overcrowded classrooms, unsafe buildings, and without air conditioning.
The District says it needed that 138-million-dollar bond for schools.
The bond would have raised taxes, $1.95 per 1000 of assessed property value.
Sherry Ely says, "When you look at the cost, everyone has to look at how it affects them and for our folks on fixed incomes that is tough because they have to decide supporting this or something more personal, so I totally understand the thought process when making a decision like this."
The District says they don't get enough money from the state to re-build its schools, so asking the community for help was their only option.
Sherry Ely says, "We can't do any of the expansion for our middle schools which as everyone has heard we are overcapacity and those buildings are old. It's a definite consequence that affects the children in our community."
Now the board will have to regroup—to discuss what to do next.
Sherry Ely says, "They will have to decide the direction they want to go. Maybe they want to go out in a November election, or a May election. Just what they feel the community is ready to accept. There will be some long thoughtful discussions we will have to have with our board."
The results are still unofficial but if the bond does fail the school will also lose the 6.7-million-dollar funding from the state for capital improvements. It will go to another district that successfully passes a bond.
- Grants Pass School District Reacts To Unofficial Election Results
- Unofficial Special Election Results: Measure 15-171 For Phoenix-Talent School District Passes
- Unofficial Results in From Ashland Special Election
- Sheriff & School District Investigate Grants Pass School Bus 'Incident'
- Grants Pass School District Announces Meeting on Bond Measure
- Grants Pass School District Showcases Need for Renovation Funds
- Unofficial Results Show Voters Not In Favor Of Medford School Bond
- December DUII Patrols in Grants Pass Result in 37 Arrests
- UPDATE: Neighbors React to Deadly Shooting in Grants Pass