MEDFORD, Ore.-- Governor Brown talked about career and technical education programs at North Medford's High's campus.
North Medford High was the only school in the region to get $500,000 to implement those programs three years ago.
The North Medford student body welcomed Governor Brown for her first visit to the school.
Kiley says, "We've never done anything like this and I'm sure they're all wondering what she has to say and how it's going to affect us"
Governor Kate Brown spent time speaking with students and taking a firsthand look into the career and technical programs implemented last year.
Kate Brown says, "If you work hard and play by the rules you are in a better life for yourself and for your children."
These technical programs are funded by the $140 million dollars the state allocated after measure 98 was passed.
Kate Brown says, "We know that students have access to hands on learning the graduation rate goes up to 86% so from my perspective hands on learning and career and technical ad is one component about how we improve our high school graduation rates."
Now these trade and tech programs are part of the school's requirement to graduate.
Kate Brown says, "It's so important that every child graduate from high school now, it didn't matter 20 or 30 years ago now it does so we need to change that."
The governor tells NewsWatch12 she's working on next year’s budget.
And she's looking to continue funding career and technical programs across the state.
- Governor Brown Talks Graduation Rates To North Medford High School Students
- Medford Schools See Increase in Graduation Rate
- Gov. Kate Brown Visits North Medford High School
- Over 300 North Medford High Students Skip School After Threat
- Governor Brown Visits Medford, Founds 'Wildfire Response Council'
- High School Graduation Rates Up in Oregon, Closer to US Rate
- Whooping Cough Case Confirmed At North Medford High School
- Senator Wyden Holds Town Hall at North Medford High School
- High School Seniors Celebrated During 'Graduation Sensation'
- Student Arrested After Threat To Medford High School