MEDFORD, Ore. -- Oregon's Governor Kate Brown is arriving in Medford today to speak to local high schoolers and observe career technical education programs.
It's part of a series of stops she's making to tour local high school programs. North Medford High School is the governor's third and final stop after visiting a school in Eugene and a school in Bend.
North Medford High School will be showing off its CTE classes like auto shop, robotics engineering, and child development. North Medford staff says programs like CTE are geared towards getting students ready to join the workforce.
"Some kids will go to college, some won't right. So those students who aren't going to a 4-year college, aren't planning on that, we need to get them ready for the workforce," said Assistant Principal Erika Wright. "They are citizens in our community. That's what our job is as a high school is to help our students be prepared to move on to whatever their next step is."
Once the tour is complete, Gov. Kate Brown will be giving a modified State of the State Address before delivering it to a Joint Session of the Legislature at the opening of the 2018 session on February 5th. The speech is expected to highlight the importance of hands-on learning. She will also be discussing her vision for Oregon's future by creating lifelong learners.
North Medford High School says it hopes Governor Brown will not only see how innovate programs like CTE are making a difference, but also that kids will be motivated to get involved with local government.
"One of the biggest points of [the governor's visit] that we've been making to our students is that it's your civic duty to vote. It's your civic duty to be a part of what's going on in our government and in our state so you can understand how decisions are being made," said Wright. "The decisions that impact them now are decisions about education and workforce. So it's really important that kids are informed about that so that they know where they are headed and how it's going to impact their own future."
- Gov. Kate Brown Visits North Medford High School
- NASA Visits Medford
- Governor Brown Talks Graduation Rates To North Medford High School Students
- Over 300 North Medford High Students Skip School After Threat
- Whooping Cough Case Confirmed At North Medford High School
- Independent Gubernatorial Candidate Withdraws, Supports Gov. Brown
- City of Medford Visits Neighborhoods with C.A.R.E.
- Medford High School Seniors Walk Through Old Schools
- Governor Kate Brown Speaks With Businesses Affected By Chetco Bar Fire
- Student Arrested After Threat To Medford High School