MEDFORD, Ore. -- A group of local high school students have a big trip planned this coming March. They are headed to Mexico. However, it's not your typical Spring Break.
Allison Winter, Cascade Christian High School Senior, is a trip leader and said the group will be made up of 40 students and chaperones. The group will travel to Tecate where they will build houses for people in need.
"We'll probably build two houses and basically we just build it from scratch, no big equipment, we just build a house," Winter said.
To help raise money for the trip, the group's church, Medford First Church of The Nazarene, is putting on a two-day garage sale.
“We have almost everything here, some really random stuff, but if you really search through all the stuff there’s some really nice stuff you can find," Winter said.
Winter said the group's Preacher asked everyone at the church to donate five items to the sale.
“During his sermon he said when you get rid of your five things you can bring them down to the yard sale that the Mexico mission trip team is putting on and we’ve had a lot of stuff being donated, and a lot more than usual, almost double," Winter said.
She said Tecate is a very dangerous area for many people so building new homes will make a huge difference.
"When you go down there you can really see how important it is to have a good house," Winter said.
The team will build durable and safe homes with windows and locks for families.
The sale continues Saturday, Jan. 13 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Medford First Church of The Nazarene.
- Garage Sale Helps Students Fundraise For Spring Break Service Trip
- Spring Break Safety Breakdown
- Staying local this Spring Break
- Spring Break Safety and Travel
- Massive toy and kids spring clothes sale
- SOU students, restaurants host foster care fundraisers
- Spring Bulbs
- High school students return from exchange trip to Alba, Italy
- Jackson County Deputies Increase DUII Patrols During Spring Break
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area open every day for Spring Break