MEDFORD, Ore. -- The Medford Parks and Recreation Department has finalized a playground design that will replace and update the current Bear Creek Park Playground. The design provided by two elementary school focus groups and survey responses was approved November 28th, which means the city can go forward with fundraising and eventual construction.
"The proposed design of the playground, if that is installed right now, would cost about $600 thousand dollars," said Medford Parks and Recreation Director Richard Rosenthal. "So we have about $190 thousand dollars of city funds that are allocated for that. The next step is to go out, ask people to contribute and to do the fundraising to cover the difference between what we have now and what we need to get."
The new playground will be expanded to 14,500 square feet and include state-of-the-art equipment. Rosenthal said this design incorporates what local kids and families want from the play area that will replace the current playground, which has been in Medford for nearly 30 years.
"They want a zip line, they want things to climb on. So that's what they're getting," said Rosenthal "That's what this design has. It's just a modern version of what's there now with modern materials and bigger."
Rosenthal said the city is accepting donations now through summer 2018 with hopes to begin construction in October 2018. Construction on the playground should only take about 10 days. You can find ways to donate, sponsor, or volunteer with the project by clicking here.
The current park was opened back in 1988 and will continue to be open until construction begins on the replacement park.
- Fundraising Begins For Medford Replacement Playground
- Volunteers Begin Construction on Revamped Medford Playground
- City of Medford Seeks Volunteers for Replacement of Wooden Bear Creek Playground
- Demolition Begins on Bear Creek Playground
- Bear Creek Park Community Playground Enters Fundraising Phase
- Medford Police Officer Gives Girl Replacement Bike
- Medford Stoplights to Begin Giving Speeding Tickets
- ODOT To Begin Construction On Medford Viaduct
- Playground Pitfalls – Prevention is Key
- Cracker Barrel Begins Hiring Ahead of Medford Opening