UPDATE: The fire on Queen Anne Avenue has been knocked down and contained, according to crews at the scene. A power pole fell over when crews responded, adding the danger of live power lines to the flames.
The structure was a garage with a small apartment upstairs. A house directly adjacent to the garage structure is home to a family of four and pets, however one of residents used the apartment above the detached garage. The fire started in the apartment, although the cause is still under investigation, according to the Medford Fire Department (MFD).
Only one resident was in the apartment at the time of the fire. When the resident noticed the flames, he attempted to put them out himself and sustained minor burn injuries in the process. The resident was not taken to the hospital at his own request.
A power pole that was somehow knocked over when crews responded complicated attempts to put the flames out, and power was eventually shut off to that location. According to MFD, the outage only affected the burning dwelling.
Neighbors were notified of the fire, but it was contained before any nearby homes could be endangered.
There was no smoke detector present in the apartment, and MFD would like to remind the public that having working smoke detectors and calling 9-1-1 immediately rather than attempting to put out a fire yourself are two effective steps people can take to avoid this kind of situation.
(Updated as of 10:40 a.m. on Monday, April 23)
MEDFORD, Ore. — Medford Police (MPD) responded to a home fully engulfed in flames near Roosevelt Elementary in Medford on Monday morning. According to MPD, the home was at 1233 Queen Anne Avenue.
Authorities began evacuating nearby homes in fear that the flames would spread. The school was not believed to be in any danger, and there are no reported injuries at this time.
This is a developing story, and this article will be updated as more details emerge.
- UPDATE: Structure Fire Contained Near Medford School
- UPDATE: Rocky Fire fully contained
- RAW VIDEO: Structure Fire in Medford Engulfs Home
- Firefighters Contain 'Explosion,' Flames at Medford Home
- UPDATE : Graham Fire Now 60% Contained
- Klamathon Fire Update: Containment now 30%
- UPDATE: Medford Fire Investigating Asante Warehouse Fire
- UPDATE: Fire Crews Contain Grass Fire in Applegate Valley
- UPDATE: Lobster Creek Fire Now 100 Percent Contained
- Klamathon Fire Update: Growth Halted, Containment Increased to 45%