HAPPY CAMP, Cali. —
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office confirms to NewsWatch12 the reported abuse happened in Jackson County.
The Sheriff's Office says the abuse was reported in December of 2017, the same time Steve Van Ert went on leave from his position with the Siskiyou Union High School District.
Court documents say the reported abuse happened between "January 21, 2012 and January 21, 2014". The Eagle Point School District confirms Steve Van Ert worked for them during this time, from August of 2013 to June of 2015. He worked as a science teacher. The district says no law enforcement agencies or anyone related to the case has reached out to them.
Steve Van Ert will have a pre-trial hearing on May 7, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
On April 25th, 57-year-old Steve Van Ert was lodged in the Jackson County Jail for sexual penetration in the 1st degree and sexual abuse in the 1st degree. He's being held on a $1 million bail.
According to court documents, the alleged sex abuse occurred between "January 21, 2012 and January 21, 2014." At the time of the abuse, the documents say, the victim was under 18 years-old.
Van Ert has been charged with Unlawful Sexual Penetration in the First Degree and Sexual Abuse in the First Degree.
In a statement from the Siskiyou Union High School District, Superintendent Mike Matheson says to the district's knowledge, the allegations are unrelated to his employment with the district.
The superintendent says Steve Van Ert had been on leave from his position with the district from December 2017 to April 22, 2018 at which point the District had accepted his resignation from his position with the district.
The superintendent says Mr. Van Ert will no longer be employed with the district.
The district says it has not, to date, been asked to assist in law enforcement’s investigation as it relates to Oregon’s jurisdiction. They have promised to work closely with law enforcement and other governmental agencies as requested or needed.
- UPDATE: Former Principal Arrested for Sexual Abuse
- Medford Man Arrested for Sexual Abuse of Middle School Girls
- More Than 90% of Sexually Abused Children Know Their Abuser
- Volunteer Accused of Sexually Abusing Kindergartener
- Deputies Arrest Sexual Assault Suspect
- Student Remarks About Principal's Misconduct Were Deleted
- Roy Moore Says Accusations of Sexual Abuse are False
- Client Shocked By Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Chiropractor
- Medford Chiropractor Indicted on 31 Counts of Sexual Abuse & Harassment
- Rogue River Man Accused of Sexually Abusing Young Girl