Photo Gallery 1 Images
MEDFORD, Ore. -- Jesse Montague has been waiting to give back to the homeless community for weeks and now that the day came and left, it was everything he has ever wanted and more.
"Today was just exciting. I've been up all morning and like I said the love has just been pouring out, the family has been pouring out," said Montague.
Instead of spending Christmas day with his family, Jesse Montague wanted to give back and it all started with coffee.
"We just want you to come on in. Get love, get coffee, get love and maybe a burrito," Montague added.
He remembers being homeless and how important warm coffee was in the morning. So Jesse and some volunteers began setting up for what he calls free coffee with love for the homeless at 5 this morning and started pouring two hours later.
"They're just always looking for a place to come in, get some coffee and get out of the cold for a few minutes. Get some coffee and receive some love. That's the part that's most important is the love because that's what they don't get. They get the judgement, but without the love. Now they get the love without the judgment," he added.
The love didn't stop there. Jesse took it a few steps further. Everyone who came by not only got as much coffee and as much food as they wanted, they left with a pack of socks, a pair of gloves and a hat--- and little bit of love. Those who couldn't make it got it too.
"I heard out there, ‘This is the best Christmas.’ And it's a new start for them and now that coffee's going to be right here for them and my love that I can give to them, they know that they can come get it, best Christmas you could ever get. It's the best present you could ever receive. Mission Accomplished," He ended.
Jesse Montague and the rest of Living Waters Church plan on giving out free coffee every Monday.
- Former Homeless Man Spends Christmas With Homeless Community
- Former Homeless Man Gives Back to Homeless Community
- Homeless camp fire sparked Los Angeles blaze
- Local Volunteers to Conduct Annual Homeless Count
- Survey on Homelessness Seeks Local Input
- Britt Music Composition to Highlight Homelessness
- Hepatitis A Outbreak In Homeless Populations
- Clinic Offering Free Foot Exams, New Shoes For Homeless Population
- Report: 80 Homeless People Died on Portland Streets in 2016
- Annual Point-In-Time Survey Counts Homeless Population