MEDFORD, Ore. -- Jesse Montague with Living Waters Church used to be homeless but with some help, he was able to turn his life around.
“Every person who is out there like I was lost and you had nowhere to go. And these holidays were the worst of everything, especially if you have nowhere to go and a veteran with PTSD and now I'm able to give back and provide love with them in a place right here where they can come," said Montague.
It all starts with a simple cup of coffee from this small building.
"This is my homeless coffee of love. That's what I want. I want a house for the homeless. That's what it is," said Montague. "Starting Christmas morning, the church is going to be giving out free coffee and burritos and every Monday after that we'll be giving out free coffee and we'll have gifts for everybody. So come right down on Living Waters on Jackson Street."
He remembers being homeless and how important warm coffee was in the morning and how important staying warm is throughout the day. Jesse's also handing out the essentials Christmas day.
"Socks, hats and gloves for each individual so I call it 3 in 1. It's three special gifts for one homeless person and I've been collecting and people have been donating those three items," Montague added.
Montague hopes to give one whole pack of socks, a hat and a pair of gloves to every homeless person at Hawthorne Park, then Alba Park and along the greenway. Then, he'll head out to Ashland. So far Montague has enough for 100 people and wants to help many more.
"That is my mission. I have to give back to them. I have to stand up for them because nobody else will," Montague added.
If you would like to donate to Jesse Montague and Living Waters Church, you can drop off any of those items to the church. You can also head here.
- Former Homeless Man Gives Back to Homeless Community
- Former Homeless Man Spends Christmas With Homeless Community
- Homeless camp fire sparked Los Angeles blaze
- Local Volunteers to Conduct Annual Homeless Count
- Survey on Homelessness Seeks Local Input
- Britt Music Composition to Highlight Homelessness
- Hepatitis A Outbreak In Homeless Populations
- Clinic Offering Free Foot Exams, New Shoes For Homeless Population
- Report: 80 Homeless People Died on Portland Streets in 2016
- Annual Point-In-Time Survey Counts Homeless Population