LOST CREEK LAKE, Ore. — The search for 29-year-old Juan Carlos Fuentes in the waters of Lost Creek Lake continued into Monday afternoon.
Fuentes and his brother, 25-year-old Irving Fuentes, were being pulled behind a boat on an inner tube Sunday evening when one of them fell into the water. The other brother jumped in to help.
"One of the people on the tube got in trouble, the other one went to assist them, and they both got in trouble," said Sgt. Shawn Richards with Jackson County Search & Rescue.
JCSO said that dispatch received a 911 call just before 8 p.m., reporting that two men had drowned. Marine patrol deputies, firefighters from Fire District #4 and emergency medical crews from Mercy Flights responded — getting help from bystanders both on the banks and in the water.
Deputies found Irving unresponsive in the lake water, bringing him to a waiting ambulance. He was rushed to the hospital only to be pronounced dead.
"An investigator with the Jackson County Medical Examiner’s Office responded to the hospital," JCSO said.
The search for 29-year-old Juan Carlos Fuentes continued late into Sunday night, but became difficult in the waning light. They returned on Monday morning to renew the search.
"We're going to continue to search until hopefully we locate him," Sgt. Richards said.
Investigators say that the two brothers were out boating with family at the time of the incident. Neither man was wearing a life jacket, and the exact circumstances of the incident remain under investigation.
Juan is presumed dead, but for now the search for him will continue.
- Crews continue to search Lost Creek Lake after fatal boating incident
- Man receives head injury when his Jeep and boat slide into Lost Creek Lake
- Abbott Prairie Fire Burns 12 Acres near Lost Creek Lake
- Helicopters help flatten fire near Lost Creek Lake
- Crews Recover Boat After Tuesday's River Rescue
- Accidental water release at Lost Creek Lake Dam prompts safety changes
- Retired couple and divers recover drowning victim's body from Lost Creek Lake
- Fatal Crash Near Spring Lake Road
- Man Drowns After Boat Capsizes On Klamath Lake
- Crews Continue Backburns to Reinforce Fire Lines