CAVE JUNCTION, Ore. -- Be ready. Be set and go. That's what the Josephine County Search and Rescue, Josephine County Emergency Management and the Illinois Valley Fire Department CERT were telling residents during a mock evacuation drill.
"It's important that we get out and practice the skills that we're going to be using in a live event before the event so that when the event happens everybody is not coming into it cold not understanding what they need to do," said Deputy Sheriff Cory Krauss of the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office.
The three teams were practicing how they keep people safe in an emergency situation while also educating the public. Now that fire season is in full swing, Deputy Sheriff Cory Krauss said this exercise helps them learn how to work together.
"You can sit in a training room and go over this information with them over and over again and so forth but until they have to walk up to a door and knock on it and tell a person ‘it's time to leave’ and then figure out what they're going to say get that feedback you haven't done it," said the Illinois Valley Fire District’s Public Information Officer Ned Booth.
Illinois Valley Fire District CERT and Josephine County Search and Rescue used to do this drill separately. Saturday was the first time the two groups did it together.
"Our volunteers come and go all the time and so we want to get all of them familiar with walking up knocking on that door and talking to the residence during an emergency and this is the closest we can come to a drill for that," Booth added.
- First Responders Train for Disaster Evacuations
- Oregon Disaster Responders Ship Out to Hawaii Volcano
- Evacuation Alert At RCC Campuses
- Preparing For Fire Season Evacuations
- Hospital Re-Opens Following Fire Evacuation
- Thousands Evacuated From California Burn Areas
- Northern California Wildfires Prompt Evacuations, Burn Homes
- Oregonians Prepare for Possibility of Evacuation
- Residents, Businesses Prep for Possible Evacuations
- Klamathon Fire Evacuees Hope Evacuation Orders Lift