YREKA, Calif. —
UPDATE: Highway 96 has been reopened to all traffic in Siskiyou County as firefighters make gains on the Tree Fire and Community Fire in the Klamath National Forest. The area may still be subject to temporary closure with traffic controls until Monday night.
FINAL: SISKIYOU SR 96 from the Junction of SR 263 to 5.6 miles east of Horse Creek is OPEN with no restrictions.— Caltrans District 2 (@CaltransD2) July 29, 2019
According to the latest update from fire officials, the Community Fire is now 60 percent contained at 35 acres, while the Tree Fire is 60 percent contained at 83 acres.
Firefighters continue to conduct mop-up operations and are working to complete a handline around both fires.
(Updated 7/29/19 at 11:35 a.m.)
UPDATE: Highway 96 is still closed to the general public. It is open to residents.
Both the Community Fire and the Tree Fire grew overnight.
The Community Fire is now 35 acres and is 50% contained. The cause of the Community Fire is still under investigation.
The Tree Fire is now 83 acres ad is 50% contained. The cause of the Tree Fire is still under investigation.
The U.S. Forest Service says crews hope to get Highway 96 back open later today with traffic controls. NewsWatch 12 will send out a Push Alert and update this article when the highway reopens.
(Last updated 7/28/19 at 11:00 a.m.)
Fire crews from both CalFire and the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) are responding to two fires burning in the Klamath National Forest near Tree of Heaven Campground, according to officials with the Klamath National Forest.
The Tree Fire is currently estimated at 30 acres, while the Community Fire burns on 10 acres. USFS said that firefighters and aircraft have made "good progress" on both.
According to a Caltrans official, Highway 96 has been closed westbound at the junction with Highway 263. Hwy 96 has also been closed eastbound to traffic east of Oakbar. Caltrans said that there is currently no detour available through the area.
This is a developing story and NewsWatch 12 will update the article with more information as it comes in.
- Hwy 96 reopens as firefighters gain on two fires in Klamath National Forest
- Highway 96 reopens without restrictions as firefighters gain on Lumgrey Fire
- Bar Fire burning in the Klamath National Forest
- Klamath National Forest mourns the loss of Coulson firefighting crew in Australia
- Klamath Falls Police Investigate Shooting on Hwy 66
- Pedestrian Killed in Klamath County Crash on Hwy 97
- Firefighters battle 40-acre Adobe Fire in eastern Klamath County
- Fire Crews Gain Upper Hand on Watson Creek Fire, Forest Closures Shrink
- UPDATE: All Lanes Back Open on Hwy 97 in Klamath Falls After Fire
- Klamathon Fire Update: Containment Reaches 96%, Local Assistance Available