MEDFORD, Ore. — Federal firefighting personnel from the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest (RRSNF) will join another wave of U.S. resources headed to Australia in an effort to combat widespread bushfires that have wracked the country.
"As wildfires continue to burn in Australia, the United States has been sending U.S. Department of the Interior and U.S. Forest Service wildfire personnel to assist with ongoing wildfire suppression efforts," RRSNF said in a statement.
This time, the nationwide National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC) received a request from Australian officials for several incident management teams who specialize in managing wildfires, RRSNF said. The country has also asked for aircraft managers, firefighters crews, and chainsaw operators.
As a result, aviation support staff and line crew support from RRSNF will join the next group of U.S. personnel headed overseas.
"Those heading to Australia will begin traveling as soon as Thursday, and will be completing 30-day missions, with additional time for travel," RRSNF said.
Once deposited in Australia, U.S. firefighters are given the remainder of the day to get used to the radically different time zone and new environment before receiving operational and safety briefings from Australian fire officials.
"After thorough briefings and a safety measure review, U.S. firefighters integrate and work closely with Australian firefighters," RRSNF said.
NEWS RELEASE: Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest Sending Firefighting Personnel to Assist with Ongoing Efforts in Australia
— Rogue River-Siskiyou NF (@RRSNF) January 14, 2020
- Firefighters from the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest will head to Australia
- Forest manager speaks about wildfire management in the Rogue River Siskiyou National Forest
- 'General Shutdown' of Industrial Activities in Rogue-River Siskiyou National Forest
- Rescue teams searching for man missing in remote stretch of Rogue River-Siskiyou Natl. Forest
- Forest Service cleans up after 'people trashing public lands' in Rogue River-Siskiyou
- Klamath National Forest mourns the loss of Coulson firefighting crew in Australia
- Truck drifting in Rogue River
- Firefighters mopping up wildfire north of Rogue River
- UPDATE: Near Head-On Crash Kills Driver in Rogue River
- Local Forest Service staff write home from firefighting excursion in Australia