ETNA, Calif. -- On Sunday, August 15, Klamath National Forest reported the River Complex grew to 41,031 acres. The overall containment is at 10%.
Moderate fire growth occurred on the south flank of the Haypress Fire with most of the fire spread occurring in Big Bend Creek up to Adams Peak on the Klamath and Shasta-Trinity National Forest border.
Infrared data show the fire is backing down slope to the southwest near Summerville from a firing operation and additional growth to the northeast into the west Coffee Creek Road area near the 09W05 trail.
The west Coffee Creek Road area is a very dense, continuous mixed conifer forest with no recorded fire history. The Summer Fire had limited growth to the northwest, while the Cronan Fire showed some backing fire to the southwest.
A new fire was added to the complex yesterday. The Pierce Fire had 15 smoke jumpers taking suppression action while it was less than two acres in size at the time.
Today, crews are working on containing the fire to the south side of Cecilville/Callahan Road on the north side of the Haypress Fire. They also will continue mopping up and patrolling existing control lines and monitor for spot fires and slop-overs on all River Complex fires.
Firefighters are conducting firing operations where feasible to strengthen containment lines and remove available fuels for the fire to consume. Additionally, direct and indirect lines are being constructed, and firing operations on the north side of the Summer Fire and the south side of the Haypress Fire are being carried out to keep fire from progressing towards communities.
All fires within the River Complex are being managed under a full suppression tactics plan.
• Evacuation Order: Cecilville, Summerville, Petersburg, and Coffee Creek past Sugar Pine Trailhead in Trinity County.
• Evacuation Warning: Sawyers Bar
• Total complex 41,031 acres (1681 acres growth) 10% Containment
• Haypress Fire: 26,845 acres (1,283 acres growth) 3% Contained
• Summer Fire: 12,201 acres (355 acres growth) 2% Contained
• Cronan Fire: 1,948 acres (43 acres growth) 3% Contained
• Multiple other smaller fires make up the total complex acres with a total of 2% containment. All other fires are either out or in patrol status.
• The Callahan-Cecilville Road is closed from approximately one mile west of the community of Callahan to Cecilville.
• The Sawyers Bar Road is closed from Forks of Salmon to Forest Road 40N51.
• Trinity County has closed Coffee Creek Road west of Sugar Pine Trailhead.
• The Shasta-Trinity, Klamath and Six Rivers National Forests have issued an order closing the Trinity Alps Wilderness through November 15, 2021. Trails and recreational areas are all closed.
• The Klamath and Six Rivers National Forests have closed the Marble Mountain and Russian Wildernesses and the forest within the Salmon/Scott River Ranger District. All roads, trails and recreation areas are closed to the public through September 15, 2021.