GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- The fire danger level increased to “High” (yellow) on Wednesday, July 3, 2019, at 12:01 a.m. Restrictions on the use of chain saws, brush cutters and other power-driven or spark-emitting machinery will be the biggest change, with a mandatory shutdown time between 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
The following fire prevention restrictions that will go into effect on Wednesday, until further notice, are the following:
• Smoking while traveling will only be allowed in enclosed vehicles on improved roads, in boats on the water and other specifically designated locations;
• Open fires are prohibited, which includes recreational and warming fires. Portable cooking stoves using liquefied or bottled fuels, charcoal cooking/smoking fires, and propane recreational fires are still allowed.
• Chain saws may not be used between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. During hours outside of this time frame, chain saws may be used but require that the operator have one shovel and one 8-oz or larger fire extinguisher at the work site. A fire watch is also required for one hour after each chainsaw use;
• Cutting, grinding and welding of metal in areas of flammable vegetation is not allowed between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. These activities will be allowed during hours outside of this time frame only if the work site is cleared of potentially flammable vegetation and other materials, and water supply is at the job site;
• The mowing of dead or dried grass with power-driven equipment is not allowed between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. This restriction does not include mowing of green lawns or equipment used for the commercial culture and harvest of agricultural crops;
• Motorized vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, will be allowed only on improved roads free of flammable vegetation. One shovel and one gallon of water, or one 2.5 pounds or larger fire extinguisher, is required while traveling.
• Any other spark-emitting internal combustion engine use not specifically mentioned is not allowed in areas of flammable vegetation between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. Use of any spark-emitting internal combustion engine is allowed outside of this time frame only if the work site is cleared of potentially flammable vegetation and other materials, and a water supply is at the job site;
If anyone has questions or further information, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at (541) 450-6200.