UPDATE: Students at Phoenix-Talent High School were evacuated as a precaution this morning after a fire in a ceramics kiln in an art class.
According to a captain with Fire District 5, the kiln is in good condition and was just replaced last year. It more than likely was an improper glaze that caused the kiln to overheat, rather than a malfunction of the kiln itself.
The principal pulled the fire alarm as a precaution as smoke started to fill two art classes.
Students were evacuated for about 15 min.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire in the kiln. There is no damage to the structure of the school or the kiln itself.
Right now firefighters have fans set up in the art classrooms that were affected by smoke. Once the smoke has cleared students will be able to resume class in the art classrooms.
All other classrooms have resumed class and will continue with their normal schedule.
Updated 01-31-2020 @ 12:01pm
PHOENIX, Ore. — Fire crews responded to a fire in a ceramics kiln at Phoenix High School this morning, students were evacuated as a precaution.
No injuries have been reported.
NewsWatch 12 is on scene, we will update this article as we gather more information.