MEDFORD, Ore. — With dry weather coming inexorably for Southern Oregon, forestry officials have issued a reminder that Fire Season officially begins this Saturday, June 1. With the declaration comes the tightening of fire danger restrictions.
"The recent weather patterns are changing from frequent rain to more sun exposure, and thunderstorm potentials have been predicted this week. Due to the weather outlook and current conditions, Fire Season is being declared," the Oregon Department of Forestry's (ODF) Southwest Oregon District said in a statement.
When the season begins just after midnight on Saturday morning, the fire danger level will be "Low" (green) and the Industrial Fire Precaution Level (IFPL) will start at "1" on lands protected by ODF in Jackson and Josephine counties.
Burning debris piles and using burn barrels is banned in Jackson and Josephine counties beginning Saturday.
"Over the past couple of weeks, our crews have responded to multiple debris burns that have escaped; landowners are encouraged to check their previously burned piles from this spring and confirm that they have been extinguished," ODF said.
The agency says that other Fire Season restrictions include banning the use of exploding targets and tracer ammunition, the use of fireworks within one-eighth of a mile of forestlands, and the use of a non-approved electric fence controller.
Other activities, such as mowing dry grass or the use of motorized power equipment, will now be regulated using the Fire Danger level, and allowed anytime that Southwest Oregon is at "Low" Fire Danger level.
— ODF Southwest (@swofire) May 30, 2019
- Fire Season begins June 1, brings fire danger restrictions
- Extreme fire danger level restrictions
- ODF fire restriction website
- Fire Season to Officially Begin on June 1
- ODF says fire season will begin June 1st
- Fire Season Restrictions: What You Need To Know
- Fire Danger Level Drops to 'Low,' Fire Season Continues
- Cold and Flu Season Brings Added Danger for Elderly
- Preparing for Fire Season
- Fire Danger Level Now Moderate