MEDFORD, Ore -- The Oregon Department of Forestry lowered the fire danger level in Jackson and Josephine Counties from extreme to high.
ODF says it could lower it because of high relative humidity, cooler temperatures and rain in the forecast. This means some fires restrictions are now relaxed. Starting Sunday, September 8th you can use chainsaws, brush cutters and other power tools, but you can only use them from 8:00 pm- 10:00 am.
Some restrictions have not changed. Here is a list from the Oregon Department of Forestry on the new regulations:
• no debris burning, including piles and debris burned in burn barrels.
• no fireworks on or within 1/8 of a mile of forest lands.
• exploding targets and tracer ammunition, or any bullet with a pyrotechnic charge in its base, are prohibited.
• campfires are allowed only in designated campgrounds. portable stoves using liquefied or bottled fuels may be used in other locations.
• motorized vehicles are allowed only on improved roads; one shovel and one gallon of water, or one 2.5 pound or larger fire extinguisher, is required while traveling.
• smoking while traveling will only be allowed in enclosed vehicles on improved roads, in boats on the water and other specifically designated locations.
• chain saws may not be used between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. during hours outside of this time frame, chain saws may be used but require that the operator have one shovel and one 8-oz or larger fire extinguisher at the work site. a fire watch is also required for one hour after each chainsaw use.
• cutting, grinding, and welding of metal is not allowed between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. these activities will be allowed during hours outside of this time frame only if the work site is cleared of potentially flammable vegetation and other materials, and a water supply is at the job site.
• the mowing of dead or dried grass with power-driven equipment is not allowed between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. this restriction does not include mowing of green lawns, or equipment used for the commercial culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
• any other spark-emitting internal combustion engine-use not specifically mentioned is not allowed between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. during high fire danger. use of any spark-emitting internal combustion engine is allowed outside of this time frame only if the work site is cleared of potentially flammable vegetation and other materials, and a water supply is at the job site.
• any electric fence controllers must be approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory, such as underwriters laboratories inc., or be certified by the department of consumer and business services, and be installed and used in compliance with the fence controller's instructions for fire safe operation.
If you have any questions on these new fire restrictions call ODF at either of these numbers:
• Medford unit, 5286 Table Rock Rd., Central Point. (541) 664-3328
• Grants Pass unit, 5375 Monument Dr., Grants Pass. (541) 474-3152
- Fire Danger Level decreases to high
- Fire Danger Level Now Moderate
- Extreme fire danger level restrictions
- Fire danger level at HIGH throughout Rogue Valley
- Fire Danger Level Drops to HIGH from EXTREME
- Water levels in Rogue Valley should begin decreasing
- Fire Danger Level Drops to 'Low,' Fire Season Continues
- Campfires Banned in Oregon, Fire Danger Level 'Extreme'
- Fire Danger Level Drops to 'Moderate' in Southwest Oregon
- Fire Danger Level Drops to 'High' in Southwest Oregon on Thursday