KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — Fire crews are still busy trying to contain a grass fire along Lower Klamath Lake Road, just south of Klamath Falls, according to Klamath County Fire District 1 (KCFD1).
Units began responding around 9:30 a.m. this morning after calls of fire starts along Lower Klamath Lake Road, just southeast of the intersection with Cross Road.
One of those fire starts took off uphill, moving across private lands, burning dry grass and light fuels as it spread east towards Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands.
KCFD1 says that no structures are threatened at this time, but deputies with the Klamath County Sheriff's Office have alerted six residences to "be aware of the situation." The Sheriff's Office will also be aiding the Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) in investigating the cause of the fire.
ODF and KCFD1 have established a unified command to coordinate ground and air resources in actively attacking the fire. Lower Klamath Lake Road is currently closed to allow responders safe access to the scene.
Right now the fire danger level in Southern Oregon counties is set at High—however, KCFD1 says that ODF plans to increase that danger level to Extreme starting Friday, July 20.
ODF announced just after noon on Thursday that they would increase the fire danger level to extreme in Jackson and Josephine counties effective Friday morning.
The fire danger level on lands protected by the Oregon Department of Forestry in Jackson and Josephine counties rises to “extreme” (red) at 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 20.
Details at https://t.co/QuTrkR7IWH pic.twitter.com/D9Cx60O2rt
— ODF Southwest (@swofire) July 19, 2018
- Fire Crews Battle Fast-Moving Wildfire South of Klamath Falls
- Fire crews battle 100-acre wildfire south of Lakeview
- Firefighters Battle Wildfires in Klamath and Lake Counties
- Crews Battle Large Industrial Fire
- Crews Battle 100-Acre Cherry Fire
- Firefighters battle 40-acre Adobe Fire in eastern Klamath County
- Crews on the scene of wildfire north of Bly in Klamath County
- Red Ball From Klamath Falls To Lakeview
- US Air Force Honors Klamath Falls Airmen
- Klamath Falls Woman Dies in Car Crash