Photo Gallery 3 Images
COLESTIN, Ore. —
UPDATE: Fire officials have narrowed their estimate of the wildfire's size to 13 acres, now with 25 percent containment. They are calling it the "I5MP4 Fire" — burning, as it is, near milepost four on I-5.
"Firefighters have a good portion of the fire lined, and are working to completely line it by this evening. At this time, the spread has been stopped," ODF said.
No evacuation notices have been issued and the fire's cause remains under investigation. Resources from CAL FIRE are aiding Oregon crews due to the proximity to the state border.
(Updated 11/7/18 at 4:30 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: Fire crews from multiple agencies are actively battling a 10-20 acre wildfire along I-5 near the border between Oregon and California, according to the Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF).
"Right now, firefighters are battling one to two-foot flames. Conditions are looking favorable to allow crews to gain control of the fire by late this afternoon," ODF said.
The fire is located near milepost four of I-5 on the Oregon side. Currently, ODF says that the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) is reporting "no to minimum delays" on the freeway.
Multiple agencies have responded, including ODF, Ashland Fire & Rescue, Jackson County Fire District #5, and Colestin Rural Fire District.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
"While Fire Season is officially over, warm temperatures in the afternoon pose an increased risk for wildfires to start and spread quickly. Please be aware, and remain vigilant into the winter months," ODF said.
- Wildfire Near California Border Estimated at 13 Acres
- UPDATE: Wildfire in Klamath County at More Than 40 Acres
- 13 People Dead After California Bar Shooting
- California Fires Burn 1 Million Acres in 2017
- Wildfires Across California Ravage Towns and Cities
- Firefighters Battle Multiple Northern California Wildfires
- Northern California Wildfires Prompt Evacuations, Burn Homes
- Police Arrest Woman for California Wildfire Scam
- How to Estimate Air Quality Only Using Your Eyes
- Estimated 129 Guns Found in Home of Police Ambush Suspect