ROSEBURG, Ore. — A man is now in custody for a shooting that happened on Sunday night near Roseburg, an incident that still has surprisingly few witnesses.
On Monday, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office (DCSO) reported that detectives were looking for leads after a vehicle was hit by gunfire in the Green district of Roseburg around 11 p.m. on Sunday night. The victim said that their vehicle had been shot earlier in the evening near Taco Bell. No one was injured in the shooting.
Deputies had received earlier reports of gunfire that evening, but were unable to locate the source or any witnesses.
The investigation determined that a woman had been leaving her work "when she was shot at by a person who had been in the area," as she got into a vehicle driven by someone who was giving her a ride.
"Neither the employee or the person providing the ride were injured in the attack, despite being fired at around 15 times," DCSO said in a statement.
Detectives eventually identified a suspect in the shooting as 36-year-old Joshua Preston. He and the victim were familiar with one another. On Tuesday, deputies took Preston into custody without incident.
Preston has been lodged in the Douglas County Jail on charges of Attempted Assault I, Felon in Possession of a Firearm, Unlawful Use of a Weapon, Pointing a Firearm at Another, Recklessly Endangering, Criminal Mischief II, and Menacing.
"Investigators have learned there were other persons were in the area of the shooting when it occurred, but have yet to make contact with them," DCSO said. "Those persons may not be aware of what they were witness to, therefore are asked to please call into the Sheriff’s Office and speak with an investigator. The case is continuing and the Sheriff’s Office is requesting anyone else with information about the incident to call the Douglas County Detectives Division at 541 440 4458."
- Felon accused of spraying gunfire at vehicle near Roseburg
- Portland Police Investigate Gunfire Near Nike Store
- Roseburg Residential Fire
- Roseburg Woman Accused of Texting 911 About 'Mass Murder'
- Transient accused of stealing gun from Roseburg High School
- White City Neighborhood Startled By Rapid Gunfire on Thanksgiving
- Police Looking For Help In Locating Josephine County Felon
- Sheriff's K9 Sniffs Drugs During Traffic Stop, Wanted Felon Arrested
- 2020 Democrats confronting debate over letting felons vote
- What’s best for Kids – Flu Shot or Spray?