HONOLULU (AP) - The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission says it appears the government of Hawaii didn't have reasonable safeguards in place that would have prevented the transmission of a false alert about an imminent missile strike.
Ajit Pai said in a statement Sunday an FCC investigation is well under way into the false alert that sounded on hundreds of thousands of cellphones across Hawaii. Officials are gathering facts about how Saturday's false alert was issued.
Pai says information collected so far shows it appears Hawaii didn't have safeguards or process controls in place.
Hawaii's emergency management agency's administrator said he took responsibility for the mistake.
The state adjutant general said a written report would be prepared. State lawmakers announced they would hold a hearing next Friday.
- Federal Probe Started for Hawaii Missile Alert Mistake
- Hawaii Officials Mistakenly Warn of Inbound Missile
- Man sues Hawaii, saying the false missile alert caused his heart attack
- Worker Who Sent Missile Alert Had Past Issues
- Health Alert: Heart to Start
- A federal bump stock ban starts Tuesday
- Health Alert: "Man Flu"
- Health Alert: Detecting Melanoma
- Health Alert: Tai Chi
- Health Alert: Frozen Embryos