ASHLAND, Ore. —
UPDATE: Authorities have identified the pilot killed in a helicopter crash near Ashland on Wednesday afternoon.
Medical examiner investigators have identified the man as 69-year-old Timothy Bruce Lyons of Port Bolivar, Texas, according to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO). An autopsy of Lyons' body has not yet been scheduled.
According to a statement from Erickson, Lyons was a "highly experienced helicopter pilot" who flew for the U.S. Marine Corps and Army Reserves from 1973 to 1992. Lyons worked for Erickson for more than 19 years.
Erickson said that the crash occurred during a "routine training flight," and they do not yet know what caused the crash.
JCSO search and rescue teams joined the search for a reported downed aircraft just after 3 p.m. on Wednesday. A search team came upon the crash site in a steep, wooded area just southeast of Exit 6 on I-5.
Lyons was the pilot and only occupant of the Bell 206 helicopter owned by Erickson, Inc., JCSO said.
The crash remains under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).
(Updated 1/24/19 at 12:30 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: One person is dead because of a helicopter crash in Ashland.
The crash happened in a heavily wooded at 3:00 pm today on interstate five near exit six. Jackson County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue responded to assist search and recovery.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office included this in their press release:
"Information about the aircraft and the decedent’s identity is currently being withheld to allow time for family members to be notified. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has been notified of the incident. No further information is available for release at this time."
Any new updates will be posted here.
- Pilot Killed in Erickson Helicopter Crash Identified
- Erickson Air-Crane Crashes While Fighting Australian Wildfire
- Two Soldiers Killed in California Helicopter Crash
- 2 Killed, 3 Critical in NYC Helicopter Crash
- Grand Canyon Helicopter Crash Kills Three, Injures Four
- UPDATE: Deputies Identify Teen Killed In Foothill Road Crash
- UPDATE: Deputies Identify Central Point Man Killed in Rollover Crash
- Motorcycle rider killed in White City crash identified, investigation continues
- Law enforcement identifies man killed in Sams Valley rollover crash
- Two killed in Brookings plane crash identified as investigation continues