KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — A fire that began with a single unattended candle led to the loss of a family's pets on Thursday, according to Klamath County Fire District 1 (KCFD1).
Firefighters responded to a report of the structure fire on Douglas Avenue shortly before 1 p.m. in the afternoon, KCFD1 said. A family of five had been home at the time that the fire started when one of them opened the door to a bedroom — finding a "room filled with smoke and heat."
Everyone in the family evacuated the home safely, however KCFD1 said that several pets did not survive the fire.
"The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental from an unattended candle," the department said.
A total of 18 personnel from KCFD1 responded to the fire. The department estimated that damages to the home will cost roughly $60,000. In the meantime, the family is being assisted by the local Red Cross.
"We are grateful that everyone was able to escape the fire unharmed," KCFD1 said. "We would like to remind everyone to use safe practices with open flames such as candles. Keep candles at least 1 foot from combustible decorations and curtains. Never burn a candle all the way down- put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container. Never leave open flames unattended and always keep children away from open flames."