YREKA, Calif. — Multiple areas of Siskiyou County are now under evacuation orders as lightning-caused fires throughout the Klamath National Forest continue to spread. Those fires are roughly divided into two theaters — the River Complex fires to the west of Mt. Shasta, and the Antelope Fire to the south of Macdoel.
The River Complex consists of at least 11 fires, though some remain small or have been completely lined. The largest and most challenging are the 6,000-acre Haypress Fire southeast of Shadow Creek Campground, the 2,300-acre Summer Fire near Cecil Lake, and the 430-acre Cronan Fire northwest of Sawyers Bar.
To the east, the Antelope Fire is now estimated between 1,800 and 2,100 acres, burning into the Antelope Creek drainage and on both sides of the 6 Road.
"The Antelope Fire will continue to be a dynamic situation due to critically dry fuels and continued hot and dry weather. Residents in the area need to monitor information and heed direction from authorities," fire officials said Tuesday.
Evacuation orders and warnings are in effect for areas surrounding the communities of Forks of Salmon, Sawyers Bar, Taylor Creek Road, Tennant, and Antelope Creek. Up-to-date information regarding evacuations can be viewed at an interactive map managed by the Siskiyou County Office of Emergency Services: https://arcg.is/1nnHKm0.
Officials said that firefighting resources are stretched thin responding to the scattered fires caused by weekend thunderstorms. Resources from outside the KNF are working on the fires to help local crews — including Smokejumpers, heli-rappel modules, and contracted fire engines and hand crews. CAL FIRE’s Siskiyou Unit is also providing assistance.
Additional resources have been requested to support suppression operations, but demand for reinforcements is high in Northern California due to multiple incidents. A Type 2 incident management team is taking over command of the River Complex incident.
Here are the active evacuation orders and warnings as of Monday morning:
River Complex fires
- An evacuation order has been issued for the town of Cecilville and all residents along Caribou Road due to wildfire. Leave the area immediately.
- An evacuation order has been issued for Taylor Creek Road and surrounding areas by the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office. Please leave the area immediately.
- An evacuation warning has been issued for the following areas surrounding the Cecilville area: Godfried, Blue Ridge, Black Bear, Uncle Sam Mine and Eddy Gulch Road. Please prepare in case evacuations are ordered.
- An evacuation warning issued by the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office remains in effect for Forks of Salmon and Sawyers Bar areas.
- An evacuation order has been issued for the Bray area due to a wildfire. Please leave the area immediately.
- An evacuation order has been issued for the community of Tennant, California. Please leave the area immediately.
- An evacuation order has been issued for Antelope Creek near Tennant, CA. This is an ORDER to leave immediately.
A Temporary Evacuation Point (TEP) has been set up at the Dorris City Hall, 307 South Main Street, Dorris, CA. If you are evacuated and need assistance or sheltering, please proceed to the Dorris City Hall or call 530-340-3539 for assistance.