CENTRAL POINT, Ore. -- Fire District 3 says there have been eight structure fires in Central Point over the last two weeks. They say the fires are being started by electrical problems, and are all accidental.
Two of these house fires happened this weekend. One of Freeman Road and one on East Pine Street.
Today the family from the home on East Pine Street sifted through what was left of their belongings. The floor on the second floor was still smoldering.
One of the renters, Ashley, says her dresser was on top of a wire, which she says started the fire.
"The heartache that they're going through it just breaks your heart, and you wish you could help them and rebuild their life," says Deputy Fire Marshall for Fire District 3, Mark Northrop. Northrop was one of the first responders on the scene, and let the family back into their home today.
Since smoke and heat travels up, it kept most of the flames on the second floor. Some rooms downstairs were untouched, while the upstairs was badly burnt.
"I really think in an instance like this, you have two emotions. You have the sadness of the loss, but you have the joy of finding things that are saved," says Northrop.
One of those items was Ashley's beloved baby blanket. It was stained with smoke, but fully intact.
"The fact that she got to see that brought her great joy, so that was awesome," says Northrop.
Ashley and her family did not have renters insurance, so they are trying to save everything they can.
- Eight Structure Fires in Central Point in Two Weeks
- Structure Fire in Central Point Consumes Horse Barn
- Barn Fire in Central Point Under Investigation
- Costco Relocates to Central Point
- Officers Respond to Shots Fired in Central Point
- Central Point Grass Fire Torches Single-Wide Trailer
- Apartment Fire in Central Point Displaces Multiple Families
- RV Fire Slows Traffic on I-5 Near Central Point
- UPDATE: Barn, RVs destroyed after Central Point fire
- UPDATE: Structure Fire Contained Near Medford School