EAGLE POINT, Ore. -- A high school senior and volunteer firefighter is planning to compete in firefighting, first aid and CPR at a state competition.
Cody Silani says firefighting is his passion. He's been training with Fire District 3 to prepare the SkillsUSA competition, happening March 15 - 16 at Camp Withycombe.
Firefighting competition summary from SkillsUSA:
"The contest evaluates the contestant’s preparation for firefighting careers through hands-on skill demonstrations and both written and oral presentations. Areas tested include: safety; breathing apparatus; fire streams; ladders, ropes, knots and hoses; fire control; ventilation; emergency medical care and rescue; and protecting fire cause evidence. Contestants are evaluated using standards established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)."
He's also a volunteer firefighter with the Lake Creek Rural Fire Department, and goes out on calls with them.
"Seeing those people's reaction once we help them out is ... really rewarding," Silani says, who attends Eagle Point High School.
Captain Ben Kennedy with Fire District 3 has been training Silani for this competition for three months. Kennedy says Silani's hard work and eagerness to learn is exactly what he wants to see.
Kennedy says Silani wants to take on the internship at Fire District 3, and eventually become a paid firefighter there. But first, he plans to attend Rogue Community College after he graduates high school to pursue a fire science degree.
"We're all rooting and excited for him," Kennedy said. "We want him to come back and work for us, so hopefully he does really well."
His mom adds she's extremely proud of her son, but also worries about him out on calls.
"I worry about him, but I'm proud he wants to do this profession," Stephanie Silani said. "It's rewarding."
- Eagle Point Senior Prepares for State Competition
- Eagle Point School District Prepares for Potential School Bond
- Friday Night Blitz: Freshman Bradd Shines for Eagle Point On Senior Night, Eagles Fall to Marist
- Mail Theft in Eagle Point Sparks Investigation
- Local Students Help Clean Up Eagle Point
- Eagle Point Shooting Victim's Mother Speaks Out
- Missing Eagle Point Girl Found in Arizona
- Fire Engulfs Eagle Point Barn Behind Restaurant
- Eagle Point High School welcomes new sparrow
- UPDATE: Funeral Services for Three Slain Eagle Point Seniors at EPHS Stadium