EAGLE POINT, Ore. -- The Old Guard Riders, the Civil Air Patrol and the community came together Saturday to make sure thousands of fallen military members and veterans were remembered this holiday season. Saturday was the 27th annual ‘Wreaths Across America’ ceremony at the Eagle Point National Cemetery. ‘Wreaths Across America’ donates holiday wreaths in a tribute to fallen military and veterans laid to rest.
For Patrick Allen, the ‘Wreaths Across America’ ceremony is personal. He knows quite a few people buried at the eagle point national cemetery, including on very important man in his life.
"I'm very proud of my father. He served in World War II at 15 years old and faked a birth certificate," said the Pacific Northwest Old Guard Riders President Patrick Allen.
Every year, his father Edgar Allen gets a wreath on his grave.
“For me it makes me cry because I miss him, He was the jack of all trades and master of none and had a lot of a lot of knowledge of a lot of things," Allen added.
Today The Old Guard Riders and the Civil Air Patrol made sure 1,516 total graves got the same treatment. About 1,640 other cemeteries across the nation do the same. More than 60 people came to honor those military members to make sure they are remembered for their selfless service to their country.
"It gets pretty emotional. I've seen people cry. There’s a lot of pride. A lot of the people out here have lost loved ones in combat and there are wreaths for them. Several wreaths out here including local service men that were killed in Afghanistan and so putting a wreath on their grave can be pretty powerful, powerful emotions," said the Civil Air Partol’s Deputy Commander Major Max McHatton.
"These people served and we have people here that are actually heroes. We always want remember them for what they've done for our country," Allen said.
- Eagle Point National Cemetery Honors Fallen Military and Veterans with 'Wreaths Across America' Ceremony
- 'Wreaths Across America' Ceremony Honors Fallen Veterans
- Hundreds honor fallen heroes at Eagle Point National Cemetery
- Eagle Point National Cemetery set to honor fallen service members with Memorial Day ceremony
- 'Wreaths Across America' Honors Fallen Vets
- VA Buys Land to Expand Eagle Point National Cemetery
- California Boy Honors Veterans at Central Point Cemetery
- Cemetery Holds Ceremony Remembering the Forgotten
- Eagle Point Students Create Chalk Memorial to Honor Their Classmates
- Klamath Falls Honors Veterans with Parade and Ceremony