GRANTS PASS, Ore. — For yet another consecutive year, Dutch Bros coffee has taken a personal tragedy and spun it into a major win for charity. The 13th annual "Drink One for Dane" campaign on May 10 brought in more than $1.3 million for research into Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) — also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.
The proceeds go directly to the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), which is the leading nonprofit organization providing research and services for ALS, Dutch Bros said in a statement.
"Drink One for Dane" is a tribute to Dane Boersma, who co-founded the company with his brother Travis in 1992. Dane passed away from ALS in 2009.
“Each year our customers come out and show how much they care about finding a cause and cure for ALS,” said Brant Boersma, Dane’s son and chief culture officer of Dutch Bros. “I’m grateful for their support and so honored to be part of such an amazing event.”
Dutch Bros said that the event and the support of its customers have helped raise more than $6.1 million for the MDA over the years. This year the company added an online portal for donations.
“I’m humbled every year by the generosity of our family of customers, broistas, owners and operators,” said Travis Boersma, CEO and co-founder of Dutch Bros. “They’re truly making a difference in the lives of thousands of people and their families. Together, I know we can end ALS.”
Most of the funds raised since 2007 have gone directly to MDA's ALS-designated multidisciplinary care centers for patients, in addition to research for a possible cure.
“All of us at the Muscular Dystrophy Association are extremely proud of our partnership with Dutch Bros Coffee and the tremendous impact it has had in our effort to end ALS. Over the past 13 years, we have collaborated from the ground up, the top down and everywhere in between – and we’ve become family. Together, we will find a cure for ALS,” said Lynn O’Connor Vos, President and CEO, Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Dutch Bros raises $1.3 million for ALS research with 'Drink One for Dane'
- Dutch Bros 'Dutch Luv' Raises Over $350,000
- Dutch Bros Coffee Raises $401k for California Wildfire Relief
- Dutch Bros Raises $100,000 for Men's Health in 'Movember'
- Medford Police investigating robbery at Dutch Bros.
- Buck for Kids Day at Dutch Bros
- Dutch Bros to donate $1 per drink Friday to organizations benefiting children
- UPDATE: Police Arrest Suspects in Grants Pass Dutch Bros Robbery
- Grants Pass Approves 15-Year Tax Break For Dutch Bros.
- Dutch Bros Offers to Match Donations for California Wildfire Relief