SHADY COVE, Ore. — The owner of a motel in Shady Cove is picking up the pieces after a pickup truck came crashing into her building on Monday afternoon.
Witnesses at the scene told NewsWatch 12 that the driver of a black pickup was coming up Highway 62 when he suddenly lost control and veered off the roadway — entering the Maple Leaf Motel's parking lot, striking a trailer and narrowly missing the motel owner, then careening into several rooms in one corner of the building.
Striking a place where two perpendicular wings of the building met, the truck damaged three separate rooms. Luckily, nobody was in any of those rooms at the time.
Witnesses told NewsWatch 12 that the truck's driver complained of having "flu-like symptoms" that may have contributed to the crash, but he suffered no major injuries, reportedly walking away from the crash unharmed.
The first tow truck on the scene struggled to remove the truck from where it was wedged inside of the building. Nearly two hours after the crash, a second tow truck succeeded in pulling the truck from the building — revealing that several of the truck's wheels had been wrenched to odd angles, preventing them from rolling.
- Driver crashes through Maple Leaf Motel in Shady Cove
- Shady Cove Re-Evaluating Recreational Marijuana Ban
- Shady Cove School Closed today (2/15/19)
- Shady Cove Man Dies in Highway 140 Head-On Crash
- UPDATE: Deputies Investigate Fatal Car Crash in Shady Cove
- DA: Driver cleared of criminal charges in fatal Shady Cove crash
- UPDATE: Deputies Find Lost Woman in Shady Cove
- UPDATE: Suspect in Shady Cove Shooting Turns Himself In
- Police: Accused Shady Cove Shooter Acted in Self-Defense
- Highway 62 Paving Monday evening for Shady Cove residents