GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Oregon State Police said a preliminary investigation revealed 21-year-old Stuart Douglas Hamilton, Grants Pass resident, was driving southbound in the 2000 block of New Hope Road. Hamilton's car crossed into oncoming traffic.
OSP said his car crashed into a 2000 Honda Civic, driven by 41-year-old Chrystal Starr Berko of Grants Pass.
Berko died at the scene.
Troopers said Hamilton was taken into custody and lodged at the Josephine County Correctional Facility on several charges, including DUII, Reckless Driving and Manslaughter II.
Rural Metro Fire says a driver is dead after a t-bone crash between two cars on New Hope Road.
Rural Metro Fire & American Medical Response were dispatched to the 5th crash of the shift early this morning on New Hope Rd at Allen Lee Rd. Rescue crews say they arrived to find 2 vehicles blocking both lanes, requiring a complete shut-down of New Hope Rd.
Emergency responders say the apparent t-bone crash left one driver deceased, and the other denying a medical evaluation on scene.
Rural Metro Fire says a dog belonging to the deceased was found frantically running around the scene, and firefighters focused on capturing and calming the animal. Once secured, the small dog was transferred to OSP.
Fire crews say it was extremely foggy, however specific events leading up to the impact and other details remain undisclosed as part of the investigation being handled by OSP and GPPD.
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Grants Pass Crash
- UPDATE: Victim in Grants Pass Homicide Identified, Investigation 'Ongoing'
- OSP Investigating Fatal Crash in Grants Pass
- UPDATE: Police Identify Victims in Fatal Crash on Highway 199
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Stabbing in Selma
- Victim Identified in Fatal Crash Between Amtrak Train and Vehicle
- Grants Pass Chaplain Helping Camp Fire Victims
- UPDATE: Driver Identified in Fatal I-5 Crash South of Medford
- Grants Pass Woman Killed in Crash
- Third Car Crash at Grants Pass Residence